Julian Alvarez will sit out the opening game of Atletico Madrid's LaLiga campaign, but Diego Simeone insists the Barcelona target will stay at the club and play a crucial role this season.

Alvarez's future has been a hot topic throughout a summer in which he helped Argentina reach the World Cup final, losing to Spain.
Real Madrid had a bid – reportedly in the region of €150m – for Alvarez rejected in June, before Barca publicly declared their interest in signing the former Manchester City man.
Senior figures at Atleti have repeatedly insisted Alvarez is going nowhere, with chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin saying the 26-year-old had been "poorly advised".
With Alvarez having a shortened pre-season due to the World Cup, Simeone has revealed he will not be ready to face Malaga on Wednesday, though he hopes to have him available when Atletico host Villarreal on Sunday.
And in the long term, Simeone wants to build his team around a player who contributed to 29 goals (20 goals, nine assists) in 49 games for Atletico in 2025-26 (not including the Club World Cup).
"I still think along the same lines that I was talking about the other day, in Korea. I take care of the sporting aspect," Simeone told reporters on Tuesday.
"We have been talking, as we always do, and I understand that in the sporting aspect, he still needs a little more to be able to arrive in the best way on Sunday. He needs more training.
"He's the best player we have, and we're going to try to build a team around him, thinking about his style."
READY??? pic.twitter.com/CsyMuK1qNb
— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) August 18, 2026
It remains to be seen whether Barca will re-ignite their interest in Alvarez, having already added Anthony Gordon and Karim Adeyemi to their frontline while closing in on a €76.5m deal to sign World Cup Golden Ball winner Rodri from Manchester City.
But Simeone is adamant that nothing has changed regarding Atleti's stance.
"Miguel Angel is the face of the club. There is nothing more blunt than the words of the owner – he was more than clear," Simeone said.
"It is like when the judge issues a sentence! It is more than clear, what he expressed.
"From a sporting point of view, we want to take care of the person, the player. We do not see him participating in this match. I hope that in these four days, he will get closer."
Since Alvarez's Atletico debut in August 2024, he has scored the most goals (49) and registered the joint-most assists (17) of any player for the club.
Atleti have already lost one big-name forward this summer, with their all-time leading scorer Antoine Griezmann joining MLS outfit Orlando City, after scoring 212 goals across two spells with Los Colchoneros.
And Simeone believes the Frenchman is irreplaceable, saying: "There won't be another Griezmann. It was something incredible. We had a genius for years.
"We're going to miss him, but as has happened with many important players, we'll get along in the best way with the new boys who join the team."
Atleti lost their opening match of the LaLiga season in 2025-26, 2-1 to Espanyol. However, that is the only time they have started any of their 14 full campaigns under Simeone with a defeat, and they have not started back-to-back seasons with a loss since 1999.
FC Barcelona
Atlético Madrid
Orlando City
Antoine Griezmann
Diego Simeone
Julián Alvarez
Alle Kommentare (7)