Chelsea will need to have backup plans if Manchester City suddenly decides to make an offer for Enzo.

Manchester City had the opportunity to sign Chelsea's midfielder for £120 million last weekend, but they failed to submit an offer before Friday's unofficial 5pm deadline.
football.london understands that Enzo informed Stamford Bridge officials at the end of May that he intended to leave. He began to have concerns about his future in March, when he did not rule out leaving Chelsea and expressed his desire to one day live in the Spanish capital.
He was subsequently linked with a move to Santiago Bernabéu. In early July, Real Madrid explicitly denied taking or wishing to take steps to recruit Enzo, whose contract with Chelsea does not expire until June 2032.
In an official statement, Real Madrid said that while it had "the greatest respect" for the player, it had "no intention of undertaking such an operation". Real Madrid also said it maintained "a very good relationship" with Chelsea and referenced the signing of Marc Cucurella hours before Spain's opening World Cup match.
Chelsea was eager to finalize its preparations for the new season and therefore informed interested parties that they must meet the asking price of £120 million before 5pm on Friday, August 14. football.london understands that although Manchester City did not submit an offer before this unofficial deadline, they remain interested in signing the Argentine international.
Follow our Chelsea Facebook page! The latest news, analysis and more on the Blues will be published on our exclusive Facebook page.
If manager Enzo Maresca pushes to sign Enzo, and Manchester City eventually makes an official bid, Chelsea must immediately find a replacement. On that basis, football.london has identified three potential replacements Chelsea could consider recruiting.
Wharton would be an ideal addition to Chelsea's squad. Although the Crystal Palace midfielder does not match Enzo's goal contributions—Enzo being a player who excels in big moments—Wharton is one of the few players capable of controlling the tempo of the game and dominating possession.
Wharton plays a deeper role, often dropping back to receive the ball and break defensive lines. The role he plays is probably similar to the one the Argentine adopted when he joined Chelsea in 2023. As long as Alonso is confident that the wingers and forwards can compensate for Enzo's contribution in the final third, the 22-year-old playmaker could be a perfect fit.
football.london understands that Chelsea has long admired Wharton, whose contract at Selhurst Park expires in June 2029. It is estimated that a potential deal for the English midfielder could be worth around £100 million.
Scott could also be a good replacement for Enzo. The Bournemouth midfielder is equally good as Wharton at orchestrating both attack and defence, but he offers more dynamism and mobility in central midfield, operating between the two boxes.
While the Crystal Palace midfielder excels at driving forward from central midfield with excellent passing ability, Scott relies primarily on dribbling to progress. From this perspective, the 22-year-old midfielder would bring something different to Chelsea's midfield, which could be exactly what Alonso is looking for.
football.london understands that Chelsea is very interested in signing Scott, whose contract at the Vitality Stadium expires in June 2028. However, it is believed that the Blues would only pursue this deal if Enzo leaves.
Chelsea made a £64 million offer for the English midfielder earlier this summer, but it was rejected, with Bournemouth insisting he is not for sale. It is understood that Scott also rejected a contract extension offer from Bournemouth last month.
Although Ruiz has not been linked with a move to Chelsea, Alonso should try to acquire him from Paris Saint-Germain. Under the management of Luis Enrique, the 30-year-old has quietly become one of the world's best midfielders, with just one year left on his Paris contract.
The Blues should test the waters at Parc des Princes. Ruiz will become a free agent at the end of the season, and unlike others on this list, he may not command high transfer fees, making him an excellent value deal.
The Spanish international would bring star quality and vast experience to Stamford Bridge, which is exactly what Alonso desires. Ruiz is only 30, meaning he is still in his prime.
He has won all domestic and European honors with Paris Saint-Germain, and the west London project would likely appeal to him.
Traduit par IA.
Le site web d'AF est désormais en ligne ! Actualités complètes, commentaires, détails des matchs et statistiques sur votre ordinateur. Visitez : www.allfootballapp.com
Chelsea
Manchester City
Crystal Palace
Bournemouth
Luis Ruíz
Enzo Fernández
Alex Scott
Adam Wharton
Tous les commentaires