According to The Athletic, Iran striker Azmoun's absence from this FIFA World Cup is not due to injury or visa issues.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino, in a rare media appearance on the eve of the World Cup opening match, stated, "We do not live on the moon; we live on earth." He gripped the microphone, trying to remind listeners that he was fully aware of the current situation.
Infantino lamented, "Unfortunately, our world is an aggressive one."
Since "Operation Epic Fury" began in late February, there has been doubt about Iran's participation in this record-breaking, most inclusive FIFA World Cup.
Infantino said, "When people tell me Iran will not come to the FIFA World Cup, I tell them, and I promise them, that Iran will come."
He even stated he would do whatever it took to keep his promise. This metaphorical statement also raised questions about whether he had ever actually lived on the moon. Infantino added, "If I have to take a bus to Tehran and then bring them here, I will do it."
Hours before Infantino made this statement, then-US President Trump, who became the first recipient of the FIFA Peace Award last year, warned of potential new attacks on Iran. Trump said, "If we have to negotiate with bombs, we will negotiate with bombs. We are very good at that, and no one in the world is better at it than we are."
On June 14, a day before Iran's first World Cup match against New Zealand, the US and Iran reached a ceasefire agreement.
In the end, Infantino didn't need to escort the Iranian team to the FIFA World Cup. The team flew from Antalya, Turkey, to Tijuana, Mexico, where they held their pre-tournament training camp.
But Sardar Azmoun was not on that plane. One of Iran's most talented players was absent from this World Cup.
Azmoun's absence from the World Cup was neither due to injury nor failure to obtain a US visa. Iran's group-stage matches against New Zealand and Belgium would be held in Los Angeles, and against Egypt in Seattle—all requiring US visas.
Azmoun stated in an interview with Iranian sports news outlet Varzesh3, "I am very sad."
The 31-year-old Azmoun will likely miss what could be his third and final World Cup appearance, an event considered the pinnacle of every player's career, held across the US, Canada, and Mexico.
Azmoun ranks third on Iran's all-time scoring list, behind only Ali Daei and Taremi. During his time at Zenit, he helped the team win four league titles and was named Russian Premier League Player of the Year in 2021. Whenever St. Petersburg competed in the Champions League, Azmoun always had an air of mystery about him.
Online, he was even hyperbolically called the "Messi of Iran." This is not a direct comparison but rather recognition of his status as the region's best player.
Before Alireza Jahanbakhsh's €22.5 million transfer from AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands to Brighton in 2021, Azmoun was consistently Iran's most valuable player. Though he never played in the English Premier League, after leaving Zenit four years ago, he played for Bayer Leverkusen in Germany and AS Roma in Italy.
In an era where players' peak years have been prolonged, Azmoun should still be in his prime. A recurring theme of this FIFA World Cup has been teams' reliance on legendary players. On a broader scale, both Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo participated in this record-breaking sixth World Cup.
Azmoun told Varzesh3, "I believe everyone should know: I am Iranian, and my blood comes from Iran. Even if my club gave me just one day off, I would rush back to Iran for a day and then return to training. That's the kind of person I am. So I am angry."
Despite Azmoun's background as a member of Iran's Turkmen minority, he should not need further proof of his identity and commitment to Iran. He has played nearly 100 times for the national team.
Curiously, Azmoun's spot seems to have been taken by Dennis Eckert, who now holds an Iranian passport under the name Dennis Dargahi. Dargahi had never played for Iran before the World Cup. He was born in Bonn, Germany, to a German father of Iranian descent, and previously represented his birth country Germany at the U19 level.
The 29-year-old Dargahi is neither a rising young star nor an Azmoun replacement. Rather, he is nearly the same age as Azmoun but has not reached his level. Last season, playing for Standard Liège in Belgium, he scored only 5 goals in 35 league appearances.
Azmoun added, "The coach did not call me, and I have much to say, but now is not the time."
Azmoun currently plays for Shabab Al Ahli in Dubai, UAE. Though the quality of the league he now plays in is lower than those he previously played in, this did not affect his competition for a spot in Iran's 26-player squad. According to Reuters, citing local media reports, Azmoun's absence from Iran's official World Cup team photo can be explained by his appearance in another photo.
In January this year, Azmoun posted a photo shaking hands with Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai.
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) posted on Telegram, interpreting this as "cooperation with Iran's enemies." In the same post, the IRGC also noted that Azmoun remained silent when "the US and the Zionist regime" bombed his homeland.
The Wall Street Journal reported in May that the UAE had secretly launched attacks on Iran. After "Operation Epic Fury" began, the UAE was attacked by Iran. According to The New York Times, the UAE government stated that since the war began, Iran has launched 2,265 drones, 551 ballistic missiles, and 29 cruise missiles, resulting in 13 deaths and 230 injuries in the UAE.
In March this year, Iran held two warm-up matches against Nigeria and Costa Rica in Antalya, and Azmoun was not included in the squad.
Last month, when coach Queiroz announced the World Cup squad, Azmoun was again omitted. Iran's official news agency IRNA claimed Azmoun was injured. Azmoun's subsequent social media response to the squad announcement once again indicated that his loss was not physical but emotional, stemming from accusations of disloyalty from local media.
Azmoun wrote, "I have always played for the national team with pride. When we win, I am proud of myself and my teammates. When we don't win, I am as sad as they are, sadder than anyone in the world. I love football, and I love the good and honorable people of my country, Iran."
Azmoun has also voiced his opinions for them.
In 2022, following Mahsa Amini's death in police custody, which sparked national and global protests in Iran, Azmoun did not stay silent. This incident sparked the "Woman, Life, Freedom" movement and prompted the US House of Representatives to pass the Mahsa Amini Act. The legislation is a sanctions package aimed at punishing Iran and its leadership for human rights violations and restricting Iranian military equipment imports and exports.
When Azmoun posted about Amini's death, he risked his career.
He wrote, "The worst scenario is that I am removed from the national team. That's fine. For a single hair on the head of an Iranian woman, I am willing to sacrifice this. It will not be forgotten. They can do whatever they want. It is shameful how easily you can kill someone; long live Iranian women."
Meanwhile, Azmoun continued to play and score for Iran. His last appearance for Iran was in March last year. His final national team goal was likely against the UAE, his 57th goal in 91 appearances.
Azmoun told Varzesh3, "I know I could help right now. But Shahriar Moghanlou, Taremi, and all the other forwards, including Alipour, they all have strong technical abilities, and I hope they can fill my position. They are all very good players, which is why they are on Iran's national team, and I am confident they can help."
Azmoun told his team and the national team, "Go out there and fight with all your might."
On the eve of the match against New Zealand, Queiroz was asked about Azmoun's absence. He said, "Sardar is a very good player, and he has done a lot for us. He is not with us now, and we wish he were, but this is football. Let me give you an example: Neymar might also not participate in some matches."
If it were up to Azmoun, he would be with Iran in Tijuana right now. But the bus door has closed, and the plane has taken off without him.
Borrowing Infantino's words, when people said Iran could not participate in this FIFA World Cup, it turned out that the only one who could not participate was Azmoun.
Diterjemahkan oleh AI.
伊朗
迪拜青年国民
阿兹蒙
FIFA World Cup
全部评论(19)